Waikiki Get Down - Honolulu, Hawaii
Event Calendar Item
Waikiki Community Center - Workshops - JANUARY 2015
Waikiki Community Center
In the auditorium
310 Paoakalani Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815
Membership is open to all!
(Locals and tourist)
Privacy - We value our relationship with YOU!. Your Email address is not shared with anyone except Waikiki GetDown.com. You will be added to the "once a month" Waikiki, Hawaii Email newsletter to keep you current and informed. If you would like to be removed, just reply to the Email confirmation with "DISCONTINUE" in the subject line.
UPCOMING ACTIVITIES and EXCURSIONS
Waikiki Community Center is in operation Monday thru Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- January 6, 13 & 20 - Lei Hulu (Hawaiian Feather Lei making) $20/$30 + $45 supply fee
- January 27 - February 3 & 10 - Lei Hulu (Hawaiian Feather Lei making) $20/$30 + $45 supply fee
- January 8 - Mini Circle Island Obama Highlights, 830am - 1pm, $35/$45
- January 14 - What If ???, 1pm - 215pm, Free, Auditorium
- January 22 - Basics of Alzheimer's, 1230pm, Free, Auditorium
- January 30 - SAGE Plus & State Health Insurance Assistance Programs, 1230pm - 130pm, Free, Auditorium
- February 5 - Haleiwa Tin Roof Ranch, 730am - 4pm, $55/$65 - SOLD OUT
- February 12 - Annual Meeting & Volunteer Recognition Luncheon, 1130am
- February 18 - Celebrate Chinese New Year in Downtown, 930am, $10/$15
- March 15 - 30th Annual Duke Kahanamoku Beach Challenge, 9am - 200pm, Free, Hilton Hawaiian Village
UPCOMING NEW CLASSES
- January 8 to February 19 - Beginning Japanese Language Class, 1015am - 1115am, $45/$55 (6-weeks)
- Crochet & Knit (all skill levels) - Fridays, begins February 6, 11am - 1230pm, $3/$5
- Bon-Dancercise - Thursdays, begins March 5, 1230pm - 200pm, $3/$5
- Basic Computer Class to begin March 2015
No classes on most major holidays.
Upcoming Observed Holidays - December 24 Christmas Eve (close at noon); December 25 Christmas; December 31 New Years Eve (close at noon); January 1 New Years Day; January 19 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; February 16 Presidents' Day; March 26 Kuhio Day; May 25 Memorial Day; June 11 Kamehameha Day; July 3 Independence Day; August 21 Statehood Day; September 7 Labor Day; November 11 Veterans' Day; November 26 - 27 Thanksgiving Holiday & Closure; December 24 Christmas Eve (close at noon); December 25 Christmas Day; December 31 New Years Eve (close at noon)
- 9am-10:30am Hula with Nalani (intermediate), $5 member / $10 non-member, Auditorium (also Hula Step by Step and Hula with Nalani II on Wednesdays)
- 10am-12noon Painting with Olive (also on Wednesday), $3 member / $5 non-member, Lanai. Bring your own supplies watercolor, pencil, oils, acrylics and create!
- 10:30am to 12noon Gentle Yoga, $3 member / $5 non-member, 202E
- 11am - 12noon Tai Chi with Steve, $4 member / $7 non-member, 205E
- 11:45am-12:45pm New Freedom (AA) meeting, 203A, see facilitator for fees
- 2pm -3pm Flow Yoga w/Yoko, 205E, Also on Wednesdays and Fridays, see private instructor for fees
- 5pm -7pm Okinawan Karate - Children & Adults, Auditorium, see private instructor for fees.
- 5:30pm - 6:30pm Tae Kwon Do, 202E, see private instructor for fees
- 6pm -7pm Japanese Karate, 205E, see private instructor for fees
- 8pm -9pm Waikiki Men's Stag (AA), Auditorium, see facilitator for fee schedule
- 8pm -9pm Ohua Street Group (AA), 203A, see facilitator for fee schedule
- 9am -10:30am Line Dance, $3 member / $5 non-member, Auditorium
- 9:15am - 10:45am Hula Aloha with Ali'i Manu, $5 member / $10 non-member, 205E
- 10am - 11am Beginning Ukulele, $14 member / $26 non-member, per mo. or $4 / $7 per class, 203A
- 11am-12noon Low Impact Aerobics, $3 member / $5 non-member, Auditorium. Also on Thursday! Bring towel, mat and bottled water
- 11:30am-1pm Folk Art Painting Class, $3 member / $5 non-member, Lanai
- 12:30pm -1:30pm Kaiser Step & Tradition (AA), 203A, see facilitator for fee schedule
- 1pm - 2:45pm Emergency Food Pantry, WCC Office, ID & proof of need is required
- 1pm - 3pm Tap Dance Class, (intermediate level) $3 member / $5 non-member, Auditorium
- 2pm - 3:30pm Writer's Club, $3 member / $5 non-member, 203A (2nd Tuesday of every month)
- 2:45pm - 3:45pm Beginning Tap Dance Class, $4 / $6, Auditorium
- 6pm - 7pm Yoga Candlelight Flow, 202E, see instructor for fee schedule
- 7pm - 9pm Neighborhood Board Meeting, 2nd Tuesday of each month, Auditorium
- 8pm - 9pm Ohua Street Group (AA), 203A, see facilitator for fee schedule
- 9am - 10am Pilates, $3 member / $5 non-member, 202E
- 9:30am - 10:30am Hula Step-by-Step w/Nalani (beginners), $5 member / $10 non-member, Auditorium
- 10am - 12noon Watercolor Painting Class, Bring own supplies, $3 member/ $5 non-member, Lanai, also on Monday
- 10:30am - 12noon Gentle Yoga, $3 member / $5 non-member, 202E
- 11am - 12noon Tai Chi with Steve, $4 member / $7 non-member, 205E
- 11am -12:30 pm - Hula w/Nalani II (advanced), $7 member / $15 non-member, Auditorium
- 11:45 am-1pm Just for Today (AA), 203A, see facilitator for fee schedule
- 12noon - 4pm Scrabble, $3 member / $5 non-member, Lanai
- 2pm - 3pm Flow Yoga w/Yoko 205E, also on Mondays and Fridays, see private instructor for fees
- 6pm - 7:30pm Japanese Karate 205E, see private instructor for fees
- 5:30- 6:30pm Tae Kwon Do 202E, see private instructor for fees
- 7pm - 8pm Zumba Fitness, $4 member / $6 non-member, Auditorium
- 8pm -9pm Ohua Street Group (AA), 203A see facilitator for fee schedule
- 8:30am - 3pm Massage Call 949-1182 for appointment & pricing
- 9:30am - 10:15am ZUMBA Gold $4 member / $6 non-member, Auditorium
- 11am - 12noon Low Impact Aerobics $3 member / $5 non-member, Auditorium, also on Tuesday
- 12:30pm - 3:30pm Bridge with Dave $3 member / $5 non-member, 203A
- 2:45pm - 3:45pm Beginning Tap Dance Class $4 member / $6 non-member, Auditorium
- 5pm - 7pm Okinawan Karate Classes for Children and Adults, Auditorium. See private instructor for fees
- 6:30pm - 7:45pm Yoga - Core Flow, 202E, See instructor for fee schedule
- 8pm - 9pm Ohua Street Group (AA), 203A, See facilitator for fee schedule
- 9am -10am Pilates, 202E, $3 member/$5 non-member
- 8:30am -10:30am Hawaiian Ukulele (intermediate - advanced ukulele players), $4 member / $7 non-member, Auditorium
- 9:15am - 10:45am Hula Aloha with Ali`i Manu, $5 / $10, 205E
- 1pm - 4pm Ping Pong, $3 member /$5 non-member, Auditorium. Equipment provided.
- 2pm - 3pm Flow Yoga w/Yoko, Also on Monday and Wednesday, 205E See private instructor for fee
- 7pm - 8:30pm Hula with Ali'i Manu, 205E. See private instructor for fee.
- 8pm - 9pm Ohua Street Group (AA) 203A, See facilitator for fee schedule
- 7:30am - 8:30am Weight Watchers, 203A, See facilitator for fee
- 9am - 10am Tai Chi - Ultimate Beginners, $4 member / $7 non-member, Auditorium
- 9:30am -10:30am Tae Kwon Do, 202E, See private instructor for fee
- 9:30am -12:30pm Hula with Ali'i Manu, 205E, see instructor for fee
- 10am - 11am Complete Tai Chi, $4 member / $7 non-member, Auditorium
- 11:30am -12:30pm Yoga - Hatha Flow, 202E, see private instructor for fee
- 8pm - 9pm - Ohua Street Group (AA), 203A, See facilitator for fee schedule
- 9am -10am Yoga - All Levels (everyone welcome), room 202E, See private instructor for fee
- 1pm -3pm - Hula with Ali'i Manu, 205E, See private instructor for fee
- 8pm - 9pm - Ohua Street Group (AA), 203A, See facilitator for fee schedule
Abour Waikiki Community Center
About Waikiki Community Center
Founded in 1978, Waikiki Community Center is located in the heart of Waikiki at 310 Paoakalani Avenue. (Mountain side of Kuhio Avenue, just before Ala Wai Blvd.) and services the needs of the community through quality programs and services.
Waikiki Community Center provides multigenerational programs and social services for families, senior adults and children who live, work and visit Waikiki. Join our fun daily activities, classes and chance to meet others! Over 45 classes held each week - learn to dance (Ballroom, hula, tap, line, hula, Salsa); play an instrument (ukulele, piano); keep fit (Yoga, tai chi, aerobics, kickboxing, Zumba! Walking tours); learn more about health and medical benefits and so much more! A great opportunity to meet new people and remain active.
Through our commitment, experience, and expertise Waikiki Community Center has established a community and business relationship with our members that will last a lifetime! Over 15,000 people utilize the Center each year.
Waikiki Community Center, a 501.c.3 non profit agency is led by an all-volunteer Board of Directors located in the heart of Waikiki.
Approximately 25% of Waikiki's residents are over the age of 62, many of whom live alone or without family nearby. WCC provides a wide variety of educational and social activities to help maintain their physical, cognitive and emotional health and independent lifestyles to avoid premature aging, isolation and institutionalization. On any day of the week, you'll find older adults (and young adults, too) participating in dance classes (ballroom, line, tap), wellness classes, yoga, hula, English As A Second Language, foreign language classes, music, bridge, arts and crafts and outings to places old and new. We welcome you to Waikiki Community Center, stop by and visit us!
For seniors and their caregivers, finding the right services to assist with challenges, identifying the right support systems, and contacting and explaining one's situation can be very overwhelming! Sometimes seeking help is like speaking a foreign language. Let us help! Waikiki Community Center is so fortunate to have Judy Taketa, MSW, LSW working with the Malama Seniors in Waikiki Program. Ms. Judy Taketa is on-site and available for appointments on Tuesday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Call (808) 923-1802 to schedule an appointment for this valuable, free service.
The Waikiki Community Center is a private, nonprofit agency that provides an early childhood education program during the weekday. Our Early Education Center provides families with quality education and care in a safe and nurturing environment by promoting individual growth and development. meeting the needs of today's working parents, especially those who live or work in Waikiki's 24/7 travel industry. We promote individual growth and development and provide a variety of developmentally appropriate skills that nurture social, emotional, physical and cognitive growth.
I AM! I CAN! Is our educational philosophy. Our goal is to prepare young children for lifelong learning by developing fundamental skills to think creatively, to use all their senses, to build self confidence, and grow physically, emotionally, cognitively and socially. These fundamental skills provide young children with the foundation to become successful learners in kindergarten.
100% of our children regularly achieve a majority of early childhood developmental milestones that fostered their growth, development and school readiness.
WCC's Early Education Center is licensed by the State of Hawaii and enrolls up to 84 children at one time. A TUITION ASSISTANCE program is available to qualifying families with limited income at the beginning of each school year. Please contact our Preschool Director at 923-1802 for an application and more information.
This program operates year-round, closing only two (2) weeks a year for facilities maintenance and major holidays. We're closed for 12 holidays as well as 3 teacher professional development days.
Waikiki Community Center's Early Education Center follows the child-staff ratio as required by State of Hawaii group child care center licensing standards:
- 18 months -- 23 months One teacher: 6 children
- 2 Year Olds (24 mo -- 35 mo) One teacher: 8 children
- 3, 4 & 5 year Olds (36 mo -- 72mo) One teacher: 12 children
The Weekday Program offers education for children: 18 months - preschoolers.
Hours: Monday thru Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Extended day: Monday thru Friday, 5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (limited to 8 students).
Scholarship and Tuition Assistance are available, please check with the Early Education Director for an application and questions.
The following requirements are needed before your child can start school.
- Application Form with applicable registration fees.
- Medical and Emergency Form, Parent Handbook Acknowledgement Form, Photo and/or Story Release form and Regular Outing Permission Form.
- Form 14 (Student's Health Record), Physical, and TB clearance - must be completed in Hawaii.
- Form 908 (Supplement Health Form for Form 14)
- TB must be done in Hawaii. (Please allow at least one month (30 days) to actual enrollment to schedule and conduct a physical and TB test in Hawaii).
- USDA Income Eligibility Statement and Meal Benefit form.
Out of State Visitors
Advance reservations are required (one month in advance) and must meet all enrollment requirements listed above. Form 14 and Form 908 may be obtained from any Health Care provider, doctor's office or medical clinic. The physical and TB (tuberculosis) clearance must be completed in the State of Hawaii.
COMMUNITY SERVICES & RESOURCES
Each Tuesday, a social worker is at Waikiki Community Center to help you find and secure appropriate services for senior citizens. The social worker is available on Tuesdays, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., in the Lounge, located across from our administrative office.
Emergency Food Pantry Amidst the luxury and wealth of Waikiki, you'll find many older residents, young families, and homeless individuals struggling to make ends meet on a daily basis. Many are in need of food to sustain themselves. WCC provides nonperishable food to over 800 individuals and families each year through its Emergency Food Pantry. The pantry is stocked through the generosity of neighborhood community groups, schools and businesses. Referrals are made to community resources if additional services are need. The Food Pantry is open Tuesday 1-4 p.m. Photo ID needed, limited to 6 visits a year.
Thrifty Treasures Thrift Shop to benefit Waikiki Community Center. Low cost clothing, furniture, and personal goods are provided to residents on fixed incomes through WCC's Thrift Shop. Local businesses, hotels, and residents donate their "gently used" items for recycling through our shop. Check out the "specials" offered each month. Thrift Shop Hours are 10 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. Closed Thursdays and major holidays, credit cards accepted.
Volunteerism is at the heart of Waikiki Community Center's operations. Volunteers lead and organize 95% of WCC's wellness, education, recreation and social activities offered. People of diverse backgrounds and all ages, from teens to seniors, volunteer at WCC. High school and college students, Rotary Clubs and other civic groups, Waikiki residents, and many others contribute their valuable time and talents to WCC's programs, events and community activities.
WCC's participants also give back to the community as volunteers. They entertain at nursing home and community events. They work in WCC's preschool, read aloud to children and participate in special community events. They engage in neighborhood activities, such as neighborhood boards and crime watch units, to ensure the Waikiki's residents have a voice in government and that it is a liveable community. They create loving baby items and donate to mothers-to-be. They've stitched blankets for our war veterans. Our volunteers also assist with Sheraton Waikiki Wedding events and Royal Hawaiian Historical Tours. Seventy-five (75) WCC participants contribute over 1,000 hours each year in the community. To learn more about volunteer opportunities and ways to give back contact Jill at (808) 923-1802, ext 108.
Join to Waikiki Community Center! We invite you to join Waikiki's friendliest community center! Participate in the wide variety of classes and workshops held each day. Waikiki Community Center provides important opportunities for both young and older adults to learn new skills, maintain their physical and mental well-being, and to make social connections with others who live, work, play and visit Waikiki.
Membership is open to all.
Waikiki Community Center offers more than 45 classes each week including:
- Music and Dance: Line Dance, Tap Dance, Piano, Hula, HulAerobics, Noho (Sit Down) Hula, Ballroom Dance, Jam Sessions, Ukulele, Salsa, Zumba, Big Band and more!
- Health and Wellness: Tai Chi, Yoga (5 different styles!), Low Impact Aerobics, Zumba, Pilates, Salsa, Kick Boxing, Karate, Health Fairs and Screenings, cooking demonstrations and speakers. On-site Social Worker and case management services (every Tuesday), massage and chiropractor services.
- Educational and Social Activities: Bridge, Scrabble, Mah Jong, Big Band Dance, McBingo, Neighbor Island trips and cruises, Local fun trips and excursions, Educational speakers, English as a Second Language (ESL).
- Culture and Arts: Hawaiian Culture and Language, Hawaiian and Japanese Crafts, Hula, Tahitian, HulAerobics, Ribbon Lei Making, French, Spanish, Painting, Lei Making, Watercolor Art, and Painting.
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
Powered by MBC CalendarMaker
Events subject to change without notice
- RELATED LINKS
- Waikiki Community Center
Waikiki Community Center provides multigenerational programs and social services for families, senior adults and children who live, work and visit Waikiki and surrounding areas. More...
310 Paoakalani Avenue, Honolulu, HI (View Map)
- Waikiki, Hawaii Featured Pages
View our directory of feature pages showcasing all the great things Waikiki has to offer.
- About Waikiki - Honolulu Hawaii
Learn about Waikiki, Hawaii.
- About Waikiki Get Down.com
Learn about WaikikiGetDown.com website and its creator.
- Feature Sponsors
Great offers from our sponsors who support the Waikiki, Hawaii Community More...
- Waikiki, Hawaii Coupons & Discounts
Save money in Waikiki, Hawaii with these coupons.